Charity licencing enables enterprise network
Citizens Advice Bureau
- Medway, Kent
- Client since 2011
Everyone knows the Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB), but not many realise that each bureau is a charity in its own right. Medway CAB provide services to all towns in the local area, offering support and guidance on everything from legal issues and debt to pensions and homelessness.
As with any organisation who works with a large number of clients, a reliable email service is essential to the CAB. However, limited funds meant the organisation had been struggling with an ageing server that was unable to cope with the demands of the forty plus users, leading to a fatal hardware fault in 2015.
- Significant financial savings by leveraging our knowledge of charity licencing
- Hardware replacements via donation from Impreza and Impreza's clients
- Minimal impact to the business by implementing an emergency virtual server on loaned hardware
In the first instance, we provided the hardware to enable a virtualised copy of the old server to allow the CAB to continue its activity straight away. We advised that it was possible to achieve great savings by registering with the Microsoft UK charity licencing scheme, creating an enterprise solution that was also an affordable option for the charity. But because they also needed more than just a quick fix, we also acquired the appropriate hardware and software for a permanent business solution. The licences we obtained followed by the migration to a new server allowed staff to continue working without disruption whilst we upgraded users’ desktops without the charity having to use vital funds.
During the installation we were able to upgrade key users to new PCs which had been donated by another Impreza client for recycling.
The Technology used for this project
- HP ProLiant Server
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012
- Microsoft Exchange Server 2013
- Microsoft Windows 7
- VMware virtualisation
- CAB Medway are a client for our Contract IT Support Service
- Office relocation (and merge from two into one)
- Setup Training Room
- Replacement of equipment
- Managed services IT support contract